New Years Eve in Manhattan amidst a frenzied crowd
A New Year in Times Square is a dream, isn't it? It's a magical moment, which you have to experience at least once in your life. See the famous Ball Drop fall, join a crowd in delirium to scream at the top of their lungs the final count of the 31st, give big kisses to strangers with his hat « happy new year » , all this under clouds of confetti and a magnificent fireworks display, here is what awaits you. Even if the thermometer announces temperatures close to 0 ° C, nearly a million New Yorkers and tourists will make the trip.
Good to know : symbol of New Year's Eve, the Ball Drop is a crystal ball, produced by the company Waterford Crystal, illuminated with 16 million colors that descends from a mast one meter above Times Square.
A show in Times Square while waiting for midnight
Like every year, to mark the event a big concert is organized. If you're there relatively early on the scene, New York City Hall has thought of everything to keep you waiting. Several shows are planned: the Sino-American Friendship Association will present a medley of traditional Chinese dances with pyrotechnic effects (at 18 pm); the english singer Jessie J will perform Domino, Bang Bang (at 21:10 p.m.), then Imagine by John Lennon (at 23:50 p.m.).
So if like me you won't be in Times Square this year on New Years Day, you can make up for it by looking on Youtube the broadcasts of years gone by with nostalgia!
Some tips if you want to spend the New Year on Times square
- If you want to spend your December 31st at New York's biggest party, try to get there early enough.
- imes Square Alliance, which manages the eponymous square, recommends moving to Broadway, at the intersection of West 43rd and West 50th Streets and Seventh Avenue to West 59th Street.
- Choose your location before 15:18 p.m. This is the time when car traffic is interrupted in Times Square. The crystal ball is installed at the top of the mast at 22 p.m. and at 30:XNUMX p.m. it is virtually impossible to find a place to see the Ball Drop.
- For spectators with disabilities, a space will be dedicated to them at 44th Street and Broadway, but here too, you have to come well in advance.
- There are no public toilets set up in the square or street vendors. Suddenly, if you have to satisfy a pressing urge or buy a bottle of water, you will lose the good place so dearly acquired.
A virtual wish wall is set up for the new Year. You can write your dreams, your desires, your hopes for 2016. These wishes will then be printed and launched with the confetti in the heart of Times Square.Do not hesitate to do it => the virtual wish wall
If you want to take it a step further and get some other ideas of things to do for New Years Eve, I highly recommend reading our article on the best ways to spend the New Year in New York.