A little historical reminder of the company Uber
Uber was created in 2009 by Garrett Camp, Travis Kalanick and Oscar Salazar. Its head office is located in the city of San Francisco. The Uber service is a application mobile which allows each person to order a driver and a car to move from point A to point B.
This new mode of travel has revolutionized the world of transport. In New York, the number of Uber vehicles continues to increase. Moreover, today there are thousands of them in the Big Apple!
How does Uber work?
The operation of Uber is very simple in itself. Here are the steps to follow to order your driver:
- On your smartphone, download the app Uber (this is free and in French).
- Create your account by filling in the various fields requested (this is very quick).
Note: afterwards, you will also have the possibility to connect via your Facebook account.
- Once your account is activated and your bank card information has been entered, enter your destination address, then validate.
- From this moment your order will be " in progress". This simply means that your ride is sent to all available drivers. As soon as one answers you, he will then become your private driver.
- As soon as a driver answers you, this is displayed at the bottom of your smartphone screen. The time to wait until his arrival is also indicated.
- The driver's photo is also visible. By clicking on it, you can access all of its information. The route is also drawn.
- All you have to do is wait for your driver. To recognize the vehicle, just look at the windshield where the Uber logo is usually visible. Otherwise, on the car window, a sign can also be seen.
- Get comfortable in the vehicle and wait to arrive at your destination.
- Once there, you don't have to do anything. The application will know that you have arrived safely and it will then debit you for the amount of the trip (this is indicated on your phone). You can pay by credit card or PayPal and directly via the app. With Uber, you don't have to carry any payment method with you. Simple, fast and effective !
Note: according to your expectations and your budget, Uber offers several services : UberFAMILY, UberPOOL (shared car), UberX (low cost Uber), UberXL (low cost Uber, but for large groups), SUV, WAV (suitable for people with reduced mobility), UberX with child seat, UberBLACK (Uber traditional).
Uber New York: what is the price of a ride?
The price of a ride with Uber depends on kilometers to go during this and the vehicle type ordered. So don't hesitate to simulate a race on the New York Uber site to find out the price directly. To do this, all you have to do is enter your point of departure and arrival and launch the search. From this moment, an approximate price will be given to you. This ingenious and very practical system will allow you to get an idea of the price to pay for your trip.
If you want to travel in New York economically with Uber, do not hesitate to opt for the service UberPOOL. The latter consists of share the vehicle with other people in order to reduce costs.
Today, Uber service is a little cheaper than New York's yellow taxis.
Uber service: what are the benefits for users?
First of all, the Uber service is very easy to use. You just have to download the application on your smartphone, fill in the requested information and indicate your arrival address. It only takes a few minutes and does not require any special knowledge.
Uber is also very convenient, as cars are available every day and at any time of the day. The drivers respond quickly after you have placed an order and they opt for the easiest route in order to get to the destination. This is because they don't take a detour to make you pay more.
The drivers are also for the most part kind and smiling, which is very appreciated!
Le seriousness of Uber service is also to be highlighted. Indeed, in addition to being easy to use, the waiting times are reasonable and in case of delay, the driver will notify you. At the end of your journey, you will be prompted to evaluate your driver and your trip, think about it! Because the drivers are independent and a good comment can only bring them additional customers.
Uber or yellow taxi: which one to choose between the two?
To determine which is the best between taxis and Uber in New York, we looked at different criteria: the comfort of the cars, the availability of the drivers, the price and the payment system. here is our comparison between these two modes of transport famous in New York.
The interior of the yellow taxis is very sober and simple. That of Uber vehicles is very clean. Drivers also pay attention to the body of their car by cleaning it very regularly. Finally, they do everything possible to make their customers feel good during their trip. To do this, they provide them with Bottles of water or alternatively candy.
The availability of cars
Yellow taxis are ubiquitous At New York. If you need to pick one up, you just need to raise your arm. For Uber, it is necessary to order your vehicle and D'wait for a driver indicates its availability. On the other hand, if the waiting time for a yellow taxi is almost zero in New York, the waiting time for an Uber is reasonable (usually between 5 and 10 minutes).
In addition, if you are in a group, Uber provides adapted cars (UberXL which can carry up to 6 people). Taxis on the other hand can carry up to 4 people maximum.
In both cases, the price varies and depends on the kilometers driven. However, as previously stated, Uber is today the cheaper both. In addition, thanks to its UberPOOL service, you can also make some additional savings by sharing a vehicle with other passengers.
The payment system
As explained before, with Uber it is not necessary to have your bank card or other to pay for your trip. Payment is made directly via the app. For the tip, on the other hand, it is necessary to have a little money on you.
For the taxi, you can pay either by liquid either by blue card. As for the tip, you can give it in cash or directly to the credit card.
As you may have seen, whether it's taxis or Uber cars, both have pros and cons. For my part, I advise you to choose Uber if you want to travel without spending too much. However, if you want a 100% New York experience, I can only recommend the yellow taxis, symbols of New York City.
And here. Now you know how to get around New York City with Uber. All you have to do is download the app and order a ride. And be reassured! If you don't speak English very well, the app is in French and the driver has all the information to pick you up and take you wherever you want.