On vacation you will find vehicles from the Barcelona taxi system everywhere. You probably don't wait more than a minute and the prices are cheaper than in most major European cities.
Yes, it is still the most expensive way to get around but, with some precautions, taking a taxi in Barcelona can be an excellent means of transport.
Before you begin, take a look at Taxileader.
This taxi company licensed and highly regulated is a great service to get a free quote for your trip in seconds. This is the best option for me to take a taxi from the airport or for any other major trip you are considering.
How to catch a taxi in Barcelona
Updated 24/04/20: Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, the following rules and regulations must be observed when taking a taxi in Barcelona:
- A maximum of one passenger per trip, unless a minor or disabled person must be accompanied
- It is suggested to open the door with your non-dominant hand.
- Social distancing rules must be respected
- Passengers must vacate the driver's side passenger seat (sit in the back)
- Pay in cash or only through the app (FreeNow)
- Drivers are no longer required to give you a receipt, unless you ask for it.
If you've chosen a great area to stay in the city center, or find yourself in some great bars or restaurants, you probably won't have to wait more than a few minutes to find an official black and yellow taxi on the street.
Look for fluorescent green lights on the roofs of taxis; they are free.
There are several ways to take a taxi, to book a taxi in advance call +34 93 225 (mandatory for more than 0000 passengers).
There is a taxi fare calculator available online.
Taxi prices in Barcelona 2020
Le the minimum rate varies between € 2,25 and € 3,25 according to the time.
A typical taxi ride to the city costs between € 6,00 and € 15,00.
* T1 rate. Weekdays from 8 a.m. to 20 p.m.
* T2 rate. Weekdays from 20:8 p.m. to 8:20 p.m. + Saturdays and holidays from XNUMX:XNUMX a.m. to XNUMX:XNUMX p.m.
* T3 rate. Saturdays and holidays from 20:8 p.m. to XNUMX:XNUMX p.m.
* T4 rate. This is the flat rate of € 39,00 between the cruise port and the airport.
- Airport: € 4,30 (the minimum in Barcelona is € 20,00).
- Cruise terminal / port: € 4,30.
- Main stations (Sants, França and the fairgrounds): € 2,50.
- Large luggage (more than 55 x 35 x 35 cm): € 1,00 each.
- Special nights (June 23-24, December 24-25-31, January 1): € 3,10.
- Wheelchairs, strollers, guide dog: free.
- Vehicles of 4-8 people: € 4,30.
Barcelona airport taxis
There taxi stands in both terminals, easy to find by following the signs outside Exits. The minimum price for El Prat airport is € 20,00.
The typical cost of a taxi from Barcelona airport to the center is between € 30,00 and € 35,00. In Terminal 1 (T1), expect to pay around € 30,00, while Terminal 2 (T2) costs around € 35,00.
For groups of more than four people, ask one of the taxi drivers to call a van (€ 3,10 surcharge).
Taxi safety in Barcelona and complaints
Here is not a trip to Marrakech, we took a taxi in Barcelona! Drivers are required by law to use metro, which makes it unlikely that you will be ripped off.
Those with whom I have dealt are honest. Whether you speak to them in Spanish or do a “marketing test” in English (I've never dared to try in French), the results are the same: a smooth, logical journey.
I have heard very few bad stories about Barcelona taxis, and most of them were from people enjoying too much of Barcelona's best nightlife. If you're drunk, get in this taxi, say your hotel name with confidence, and be careful!
Bad experience? Request a receipt and report it using this taxi claim form.
The form must be sent by post to the following address: Metropolitan Taxi Institute, Carrer Number 62 No. 18, Barcelona, Spain, 08040.
Wheelchair accessible taxis in Barcelona
Although typical Barcelona taxis are not equipped for disabled visitors, there is a separate company called Friend taxi. These spacious, custom-made taxis come with a special ramp for wheelchairs.
Hours: weekdays from 7 am to 23 pm, weekends from 8 am to 22 pm
You can book the taxi online (minimum 24 hours in advance) on the Taxi Amic website.
To book a taxi by phone, call Taxi Amic at +34.
application Free now has also recently expanded its fleet with taxis adapted for people with disabilities. Prices start from € 14 each way and you can book your taxi on your phone
Find out how to use FreeNow and the links to download the APP for Android and iOS later in this article. The only thing you should know is that when they ask you to select the vehicle, you will have to choose the one called "Accessibility", recognizable by the logo with the little one in a wheelchair.
Tips for Barcelona taxis
- Taxis with green lights on cannot pick you up within 200 meters of a taxi rank.
- Do not tip drivers (tips are not expected in Spain).
- For an additional € 2-3, you can hire an "ecological" taxi at (0034) 932-783-000.
- If your hotel is near the airport, check if your hotel has a free shuttle service.
- Supplements are usually added at the end of the trip.
- Most of the small tourist streets in Gotico, Raval and Born are exclusively pedestrianized. Check your destination and try to find a logical drop point in advance to prevent the driver from turning you around.
- Make sure you are heading in the right direction. As most of Barcelona's streets are one-way, a quick glance at your smartphone's GPS is often enough to position yourself on the right side of the street, which could save you money.
- To contact lost property: +34 90 210 1564 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
When to take a taxi in Barcelona
Getting around Barcelona by public transport is so easy that taking a taxi can be impractical.
For this reason, I suggest taking a taxi in Barcelona only if:
- You're in a big hurry.
- The company pays.
- It's raining (rare).
- Had a few drinks (not uncommon).
- You are made of money (very rare).
If you move groups of three or four, the price difference between a taxi and the subway is negligible. You will go almost anywhere in the center for € 2-3 each.
Especially at night, when buses run less frequently, it may be worth getting an extra 45 minutes of sleep and not dragging your luggage around town at 4am
Taxileader - taxi transfer from Barcelona airport
Taxis are surely the fastest way to get to your hotel from El Prat airport.
Many people have asked me if there is a reservation service. That is why I decided to collaborate with Taxileader and ensure an efficient transfer to and from El Prat airport.
By clicking the blue button below, you will get a free travel budget in just seconds.
After using this service personally, I can say that the prices are fair and many of my readers have said the same.
What's cool is that you'll have a little james bond moment arriving in front of his driver waiting for him with a sign with his name.
To reserve, you simply need to fill in a valid credit card and a 20% deposit as a guarantee. You will only be charged at the end of the trip. If you wish, you can also pay in cash.
If you are traveling with children, you will also be entitled to a free car seat or booster seat!
Book a taxi through the Free Now app
In short, this service combines convenience and precision of Uber a legitimacy and security black and yellow urban taxis.
Since this application uses black and yellow urban taxis, the price is the same as above.
The good thing about booking through the app is that the address and directions will be more precise and that the taxi driver cannot cheat you by taking the longest route. He also beats you standing in the corner waiting.
Another advantage? You will get a € 5 reduction on your first run using the code "lucile.pic"?
How to book
To book a taxi in Barcelona through Free Now, follow the instructions below:
- Download the application using the buttons above.
- Enter your personal information and payment methods: this way you will not have to worry about giving cash to the driver and there is no possibility of him taking you by boat during the race because it is connected to GPS.
- You will then need to enter your departure and arrival points and you will get a price estimate.
- Come in and enjoy the ride! You can follow the progress of the trip on your phone.
- You will be charged the price at the end of the race.
Find more information in the comments.
You are ready for your taxi experience in Barcelona, but if you are not sure, leave me a message in the comments below with your destination, I will let you know what is the best means of transport for you.
Also, don't be afraid to join the discussion about transport in Barcelona on my new Facebook group called “For City Lovers”. Here you can ask questions, voice your complaints, chat with other travelers and more - anything goes!