What is MoMA?
Located in the district of Midtown in Manhattan, MoMA is a contemporary art museum that was inaugurated in 1929. It was founded by three wealthy ladies and modern art enthusiasts: Abby Aldrich Rockefeller (wife of John D. Rockfeller Jr), and her friends Lillie P. Bliss and Mary Quinn Sullivan. Their idea was to create a place exclusively reserved for modern art where famous works could be exhibited. They also wanted to give young artists the chance to present their work.
At the start of the XNUMXst century, MoMA was renovated et enlarges : its exhibition area has been doubled and this museum now has three souvenir shops and bookshops, four restaurants and cafes. Its surface area reaches, 11 600m² spread over 5 levels.
Currently, MoMA is one of the most visited institutions in the United States. Its number of visitors continues to increase over the years and the various collections have also been enriched over time. Today you will be able to find many modern and contemporary exhibitions in very diverse fields such as painting, photography, drawing, sculpture, film or even video.
A visit to MoMA should therefore be planned during a stay in the Big Apple. Moreover, I strongly advise you to obtain the New York Pass in advance. This will allow you to do some savings interesting since entry is included in this pass! It is currently the only New York pass that includes entry to MoMa
MoMA New York: what are the collections on display?
At MoMA, works by artists world famous are exposed. Thus, during your visit, you will be able to discover works of Picasso, Matisse, Dalí, Jackson Pollock, Cézanne, Van Gogh or Mondrian. You can also contemplate furniture, objects and interactive works.
It is also important to know that MoMA is one of the first museums of modern art in the world to offer its visitors a department devoted solely to the world of photography. The latter was created by Beaumont Newhall and dates from 1940. This great initiative has enabled photography to be recognized as an art in its own right.
Also note that MoMA regularly organizes temporary exhibitions.
What are the must-sees of MoMA?
As indicated above, the MoMA collections are divided into 5 different levels. During your visit, the more you climb the floors, the more you will go back in time. Note however, that the works presented in this museum are not classified chronologically, but according to the Artistic current.
Organization of the Museum of Modern Art
To help you get your bearings better during your visit, here is what you can find on each floor of MoMA in New York:
- Le first and second floor is devoted to films and media. Here, you will be able to discover more than 1 works and videos.
- Le third floor is dedicated to architecture, drawing and photography. You will have the chance to contemplate more than 10 drawings made using different techniques such as ink, charcoal, watercolor… It is also on this floor that you will be able to admire more than 000 photos since 25 .
- Le fourth floor is reserved for sculpture and painting. Famous works by artists such as Picasso are exhibited there for the greatest pleasure of the eyes. Among these achievements, you can admire the work of Claude Monet: Reflections of the Clouds on the Waterlily Pond dating from 1920, for example. The latter occupies an entire room. A little further on, works dating from the Expressionist period are present, such as the Panel for Edwin R. Campbell No. 2 by Vasily Kandinsky. Surrealist and abstract art also occupy a very large part of this level with the exhibition of works by Marcel Duchamp and Marc Chagall.
- Le fifth floor is reserved for so-called temporary exhibitions. Here you will also have access to a cafe with a terrace overlooking the Sculpture Garden.
The sculpture garden
During your visit to the Museum of Modern Art, do not hesitate to make a small detour via the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden. This magnificent interior courtyard brings together sculptures by great artists such as Picasso, Aristide Maillol and many others. Here, you will have the opportunity to relax, enjoy a moment of calm in the open air and admire the works of art all around you.
A boutique for a little shopping moment
Le MoMA Design Store is a shop located on the ground floor where you can buy designer objects, miniatures, modern art reproductions and much more! You can also bring back pretty little classic and original souvenirs like magnets, for example.
Where to eat during his visit?
If you are hungry, you won't have to go out of MoMA to eat. Indeed, the 2 coffee is a restaurant that offers Italian specialties. It is very good value for money (it is the cheapest of the MoMA restaurants) and it is located on the second floor (above the sculpture garden).
Otherwise, you can eat at Terrace 5. Here you can nibble on appetizers while taking in a lovely view of Central Park. Terrace 5 is located on the 5th floor, garden side.
If you want a chic restaurant, I recommend the restaurant The modern which offers fine and refined dishes cooked by Alsatian chef Gabriel Kreuther.
Otherwise, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a picnic in the sun, sitting on a sculpture in the famous garden located in the inner courtyard.
Museum of Modern Art: how to prepare for your visit?
How much does the entrance to MoMA cost?
For adults, the entrance fee is 25$ and for children under 16, admission is free. Otherwise, for seniors (65 years and over), the price is 18$ and for students of 14$.
Note that this entrance fee includes temporary exhibitions, access to galleries, films and audio programs. Access to the sculpture garden is completely free.
As I said above, admission to MoMA is included in the New York Pass.
Where to buy your entrance ticket?
Have you decided to discover MoMA? It's a very good idea ! You will leave with memories in your head, that's for sure!
If you want to prepare your visit in advance, know that you can buy your entrance ticket directly online. After your purchase, you will receive a voucher to present on the day of your visit. The latter is valid for 6 months and cannot be refunded.
Otherwise, you will also have the option of purchasing your entrance ticket on the spot. On the other hand, if you opt for this second solution, you will have to be patient, because MoMA attracts many visitors and the queues are therefore long, even very long. So this can get awkward, especially if your schedule is busy. However, be aware that Skip the line tickets exist. They are more expensive than the entrance tickets, but they will save you precious time since you will avoid the long lines.
My advice is therefore to get the New York City Pass, by clicking here, which will allow you to access the Museum of Modern Art simply, and above all quickly! Thanks to it, you won't need to queue and you can save some money since its price is very attractive. In fact, this New York City Pass includes entry to other very famous and interesting New York attractions. If you would like more information on this City Pass, do not hesitate to take a quick look at my dedicated article!
Visiting MoMA New York for free is possible!
All Fridays from 16 p.m. to 20 p.m., MoMA's entry is entirely free ! This free admission is possible thanks to the sponsorship of the Japanese clothing brand Uniqlo, which compensates for the price of tickets. This operation has been called “Free Friday Night”. If you want to take advantage of this offer, be sure to arrive early, as the crowds are everywhere.
Also note that this free entry is not located at the usual entrance, but on the sidewalk of 54th Street.
Some tips for a successful visit
In order to visit MoMA New York in the best conditions, here are some advices very useful :
- Remember to arrive half an hour before opening time. This will allow you to be in the first and admire the works without the crowds around you.
- Do not take a backpack with you as you will need to leave it in the locker, and this may take some time due to the queue.
- Maps and audio guides are available at the entrance. If your mobile phone is equipped with WiFi, all you have to do is connect to the MoMA network to listen to all the comments. Otherwise, free audio guides are available to all visitors. To take advantage of it, you will have to type a number on the small individual device provided in order to activate the comments.
- Do not forget your camera. At MoMA, you will be able to take many pictures of unique works.
- Don't hesitate to take a stroll in the sculpture garden, especially if the sun is shining. This is very nice!
If you can, I also advise you to participate in the visit New York's VIP du MoMA early in the morning in small groups before the doors open to the public. A guide will show you the main works of the museum. During this tour, you can enjoy a moment of calm before the crowds. After this tour is over, you will have the option to stay in the museum for as long as you want.
What are the MoMA opening hours?
MoMA is open every day from 10:30 a.m. to 17:30 p.m. (except Friday when it closes at 20 p.m.). On Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day, the museum is closed.
How to get to the museum?
The full address of MoMA is: 11 West, 53 Street, Midtown Manhattan, New York. Getting there is very easy. You will need to take the E and V subway lines, then get off at 5th Ave / 53rd street station.
You can also get to MoMA from 47th-50th St / Rockefeller Center station after taking the B, D, or F subway lines.
To help you find your way, here is a small map:
Once your artistic discovery is over, I advise you to recharge your batteries in Central Park (located nearby) for a moment. You can then set off again on the right foot to discover all the other New York treasures!
If you are a museum enthusiast, I invite you to read my article on the most beautiful museums in New York.